View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #18
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ganking MMO*s

I've ultimately played way more graphical MMOs than I've played MU*. Threshold was my first mud, and ultimately, my last mud. I simply have been unable to find a mud to my liking because I prefer an RP-enforced, well-written world that still has excellent game mechanics. Basically, when looking for a mud, I'm looking for something I can play for years. With graphical, MMOs, I'm basically looking for a game that I can play with a few friends. I already know there's not going to be any RP. (RP servers are a joke.) I also know that I'll be playing on TS or Vent because the playing/typing interface on ALL graphical games is utterly painful. (If you've ever been trying to type out a request for a heal while you're getting destroyed by a boss, you know what I mean. Mina yells, "Heeaserls!")

My experience with graphical games is a bit different from the one you post, Shadow. I always play a support class, and since most MMOs are extremely content light, I'm pretty much playng so that I can level up as fast as possible. That's pretty much the only challenge and true content that MMOs seem to offer. Thus, I don't see much of the graphics. My screen is filled with my hot bars (between 2 and 10), my inventory screen (or bags), and my group's health bars. I really couldn't tell you what half the end game bosses look like because I'm too busy managing my entire group (between 5 and 25 people's) healing, buffing, and rezzing. Last but not least, my character looks awesome when she's fighting, but honestly, I can't get over the fact that when I type /hug or /em hug, she just stands there sighing or whatever random animation they have her do when she's just standing.

I'm not saying that muds will be able to crush and dominate graphical MMOs nor am I saying that the mudding community will be able to take all their players away if they only knew about it. I'm simply saying that MMOs have gotten a lot more people into online gaming who don't know about MU*s, and if they did know about mudding, they might like it better. We have had plenty of people who went off to play WoW or EQ and punted to come back to our game. Granted, we offer enforced-RP, so we're very much a niche game. I'm just not convinced that all MU* players will eventually defect for MMOs. There could be a flow of traffic between both.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote