View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 06:17 PM   #10
Khadgar

Khadgar is on a distinguished road
I have run into several automappers during my days.  

Jobo has probably modified my favorite.  He stated in Kyndig it is based on a ROM snippet by Dingo.  
Example:

Adventures Unlimited also has a nice automapper based on something Sardu did, which can be seen in help snippets.
Example:

I have seen a few on Dawn of Time Codebases
Homepage:
Example:

Basically, these show you graphical representations as you move around the mud.

I have seen automappers work in maze like areas. From the mud I came from, adventures unlimited, there was an area called Shadow Grove for instance. It could be quite confusing for beginning players, especially if they didnt have infravision. At times, you could move around in circles for 10 minutes or so and not seem to be getting anywhere and this was just a small maze and at other times it could be really simple. It was almost as if they maze changed every so often. Another example is rooms like:

O Let the X represent you
O-X Let the O represent rooms
O

You could link the same vnum in the room with the X and the room north of it so if you keep moving north it will appear as if you are moving but you really arent. If a lot of rooms are like this it can get really confusing in a good sense. Forests seem to go on forever, etc.

Well, one possibility is to do it with characters much like everything else would be, but it might just be best to have the autoexits right by the map for up and down exits.

Exits: north, south, west, up, down

As far as in and out directions go im assuming you mean something like enter and exit room/object/etc. You could just have an object in a room like:
A huge tree is here allowing access to the Forbidden Planes
You could type in tree or enter tree or something like that.
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote