View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 06:38 PM   #6
Jenred

Jenred is on a distinguished road
In response to Jaezula...

Alot of time people play Encouraged/Optional MUDs because there are very few all around good Enforced MUDs. Alot have a great story and world, but no players to fill this great place. Or others have alot of enthusiastic players but the game world and commands are choppy, making exploring and playing your role in such a world not fun.

So alot of people go to Encouraged/Optional MUDs because the world is dynamic, the commands are good, and there might be alot of people. So in these places people begin to try and --change-- the world to make it a nice place to role-play, etc, by either seperating themselves from those that dont want to. Often resulting in good things, and sometimes a change in the MUDs overall policy.

Ill say that its pretty hard to get an RP-enforced MUD off the ground, not to mention the RPI's that seem to stand alone from the MUDing world as more of Games- because:
*Unless they are well staffed you cant ask questions. People go 'What is that some foreign language? blahblah.'
*Unless the game is well-documented people dont know what kind of roles they should be playing, what commands are available, where things are.

Thus the benefit of an Encouraged/Optional MUD is the ability to be able to ask questions, get responses, discover the world and then make characters that fit in it. Whereas the opposite need to be well-staffed, documented, and cant be all that off-the-wall original... unless they are willing to deal with the labor pains of getting it over the first few months of a start-up game.

Anyways... I think Im like alot of people. I have my Role-play-intesive game, then my hack and slash based ROM game that has a good bit of role-play, but wouldnt be its advertising feature.
Jenred is offline   Reply With Quote