View Single Post
Old 08-07-2002, 03:17 PM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Mason says: Whoa, nellie. Advocates isn't quite accurate. As I stated in the column, which I assume you read from beginning to end and hope that you comprehended clearly, while I don't forbid it from ever happening, I demand that it cannot happen without staff input, oversight, conversations and the possibility of avoiding it entirely by spending experience points in a +luckroll. In other words: I want it to be difficult, without being an overcontrolling admin who simply forbids it entirely.

I do demand that it be done offscreen (basically, you get a note saying 'You were raped.' ) because I recognize the out-of-character trauma that might be experienced - and I said as much in the column.

There are no RL legal liabilities involved with character rape in this context - it doesn't actually happen except in an offscreen sense. Nor are there RL legal liabilities involved in killing a character. And I think you devalue the trauma a player can experience when they lose a character to death when you say it can't be compared to in-character rape. It certainly can be just as traumatic, if not more so. Depends on the player.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote