Thread: Dynamic Content
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Netwyrm

Netwyrm is on a distinguished road
My site is wholly generated with PHP and MySQL. The site itself has been updateable through a web editing system I wrote long ago, along with a fairly standard array of support template files for styling, graphics, etc.

It's very simple, with a one-to-one relationship between editor and subject and a menu to tie them all together, but I've done a lot of writing, typo fixes, etc. from just about anywhere through it.

One of my peeves is I just hate trying to keep long lists of things in sync yet continually have created long lists of things that must be kept in sync... like monsters and abilities and so on, and have to represent them in different environments.

The most interesting thing is I am working on is to expose the statistics for say, monsters, both to the game engine and to the website, so when I update the stats on the website, the game receives the new information, and when I update the stats in the game data, the website picks the change up...

I'm not quite live with my latest game rewrite/disaster yet, but changing over from the endless static text files I had in previous versions of my engine to represent states to using a database has had such convergent applications pop up. I'm looking forward to discovering more.

I cannot really communicate just how long I dithered with one type of storage for the game server and another for the website, until I finally broke down and put in the skull sweat needed to figure out how to get my game server to talk to the same databases my website was working.

I highly support your hypothesis, Raesanos, that central stores of information are much better than disparate ones when you want to use the same data twice in an application. After that, you can expose it to staff, or players, or use it in the game. It's advantageous.
Netwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote