Thread: morons
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2002, 02:56 AM   #1
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Currently we have a pretty big problem with our mud, and I wanted to seek the advice of this board, to see if anyone has any ideas about how to deal with it.

Apparently someone with access to a large amount of computers is constantly sending partial packets to our server, which the router has to process. This overloads the router and it crashes. Since a lot of different computers are used, normal ‘spam filters’ do not work.

We have a pretty strong suspicion about who is doing it, a player with a hacker/cracker background, who once told me that he had about 20 computers. He has done a similar thing before. And also uttered some recent threats on the mud. But as far as the coders tell me, there is no real proof to the identity. We also haven’t any valid e-mail address to this person, just one of the ‘free-from-the net’ ones, where you don’t have to reveal your real identity, and he logs on from a number address that changes each time.

But surely there must be some way to track the culprit down, to make him stop his nuisance, and possibly bring charges? I’ve been told that you always leave traces on the net. And what he does must surely be illegal and should be punishable by law?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote