View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #22
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
I am considering having very few races, probably three, but basing those races off of mythological "races" that vary to extremes individually. Consider the almost unlimited variation in faerykind, for example. This allows the player to tailor their character the way they want without necessarily changing the character's identity. The key is deciding on such races that could still be distinguished between each other without making the theme seem hodgepodge.

I also want every player to be in appropriate scale with every other player, which means, IMO, I can't have both Lilliputan-sized PCs and human PCs, nor gnome PCs and troll PCs, nor dwarf PCs and giant PCs. Dragon PCs would have to be limited in size to scale well with human PCs, etcetera. But since there are more small creatures than large ones, I will probably favor that extreme in any case. That also has the benefit of making the monsters (whether trolls, giants, or dragons) seem larger by contrast. This relativity also allows players to still get their brutishly strong PCs, if that is what they want; it is simply a matter of comparing them to the typical PC rather than comparing everything to humans.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote