View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
Re: Medieval cookery

A lot of places strive for a relatively realistic feel to a Medieval MUD (even with added fantasy elements) and it works for a lot of places. Most designers get a few things very wrong, tho'- the biggest bugbear I have is with grog, funny enough. Grog is a mixture of rum and water- a measure of rum that is watered down to stretch out Naval rations. It is not, ever, a drink having to do with barley, oats or hops. It just isn't. There are only a few things that really catch my ire in RP games, and that's one of them. Why do people insist on implementing drinks and foods that are so wrong?

I would just so much rather see 'Imp Bread' or 'Elf Wine' than some attempt at a drink that existed in Medieval times, but which is so very different than described in the game. Medieval cookery wasn't nearly as basic or dull as most people think (as your excellent link shows!). I guess it's one of those ways in which a game could do much better. A little research goes a long way! I won't mention the games that claim to be 'Medieval fantasy' that include drinks like 'Tequila punch' and 'Screwdrivers'. That's just frackin' annoying.
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote