View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
Euphonium

Euphonium is on a distinguished road
For every character I have played, I usually spend a paragraph discussing facial features, the second describing their body, and a third on clothing.

Since describing objects in a MUSH usually falls into the hands of someone other than John Q. Roleplayer, I use that space to flex my descriptive writing muscle. When I'm confronted with a day in which Roleplay is scarce, I'll pick apart my description in an attempt to make the imagery more vivid, and I'll try to push metaphor as far as it can go.

As noted in a previous post, super-imposing emotions and reactions on to the reader almost seems to be a bright, beaming klaxon that signifies a novice roleplayer. However, I've yet to confront someone who complains because I don't cower in fear at his "Dark, brooding bishonen that chills the very marrow of your bones." ...bah, I made that quote up, but it isn't far off from some descriptions I've experienced.

There are also people who play around with colors, symbols, and borders to impress more upon the reader. I once examined a character whose @desc was tailored to appear like a datapad, and read like one, too. And then there have been @descs which have coded a fancy layout of a player's inventory, and so on and so forth.

But, that's my two cents on @descing a character.
Euphonium is offline   Reply With Quote