View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: custom clients. Good or bad?

This is true, and a "lot" if it can be solved by incorporating in features like MMOs have, like command toolbars, auto-targetting, etc. But, like I said, you still get cases where something is just a pain in a backside to do in the game, or the information you are looking for is not easily kept track of via the client.

Some simply can't be though, without having at least "some" questionable interactions. The rule the mud I played at has is, "It can send commands, as long as all you do with the result is display information, or do things that do not directly effect game play." This means you could have a trigger "set" the name to be used to heal someone, based on some event, but you still have to "cast" the spell. You can send commands to check your inventory, to make sure you put away all your stuff, as a sequence of things needed to log off, but *you* have to issue the command that starts that sequence of events. If it was something in combat, instead of a log off, that would be even more restricted, you can't have one command cast a series of buffs, but you could have triggers register the fact that you did cast the spells, then set timers to warn you when they where about to need to be recast. The timers **cannot** recast them though. At one point I even came up with a joke, based on sending multiple lines through tells, where my tell would respond like an NPC and display a price list for made up items. Other people grabbed the idea and set of shops to sell extra items they collected. This has become redundant (mostly), and there are now restrictions preventing multiple lines being sent over anything "except" tells, where its still allowed. But, its one case where technically the client "is" doing something one its own, completely separate from the user, but it has *zero* impact on actual game play. (Unless you consider telling people you have a piece of armor for sale as "effecting advancement". lol)

I don't know, I just like to have "some" control over what my client is doing and the ability to tweak some things to fit how I play. Limiting what the client can do, severely messes with that ability.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote