View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 02:39 PM   #2
crymerci

crymerci is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to crymerci Send a message via Yahoo to crymerci
Well, to start with, I would suggest just looking among the roleplay MUDs listed here and seeing which one appeals to your imagination most. I'll put in a bid to recommend the MUD I play on, ArmageddonMUD, where you will learn to roleplay by following the example of some of the best roleplayers I've ever had the pleasure to play with. But choose a MUD that sounds interesting to you. It's easier to be creative when you find your surroundings inspiring.

Think about your character before you enter the game: what was their life like growing up? What are his/her hopes and fears? Strengths and weaknesses? I would suggest creating a character with a similar personality to yours to start with, then give them some interesting quirks, like a prejudice against dwarves, a fear of water, an addiction to sweets. Some people have better luck creating a character very different from themselves, but whatever you decide, make sure that it's something that is interesting to you. Sometimes you can only discover this by trial and error. What had seemed like a really neat idea may turn into a yawn. Don't be afraid to fail on your first attempts.

That goes for actually roleplaying once you're in the game, whichever game it is. Everyone was new somewhere once, and most games are fairly welcoming to newbies who show a desire to learn the ropes. So just stick your neck out and try. Interact with your environment, your equipment, other players and NPC's. Watch how other players roleplay, see what you like and don't like, and incorporate the good stuff into your own play.
crymerci is offline   Reply With Quote