View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Almost every game has restrictions to PK, they're just not coded. You realize that you can't kill the person 30 levels higher than you, so you don't. Even in Arm there are restrictions. If you kill X noble, you yourself will be hunted down by enough people that you will die, so you don't attempt it.

I agree, the social aspect is a very large part of it. You have to put people in the appropriate mindset. This mindset is often that their actions have consequences. This is often lost in the responsibility sink that is the internet, and must be enforced much more stringently than in real life. This can be done by having nasty, coded cityguards that throw you in jail and/or beat you up, or a policing clan that follows up on murders.

With a system like this, a level-based enforcement becomes much less necessary. As long as the police/cityguards/army remain a sufficient annoyance to even the highest-level players, murderers will think twice before PKing, and thus, PK will actually mean something.

I come from an RP required place, so my views on PK itself aren't very helpful, as we've only had half a dozen or so direct one-on-one murders since our inception. It basically works the same way as a normal medieval society: you kill, and you're hunted down by the law and put on display as you yourself are killed. Having permdeath doesn't hurt, I suppose.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote