View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 08:29 PM   #55
SimuBubba

SimuBubba is on a distinguished road

Well, Mason, if you were correct, I'd almost have to agree with you.  Unfortunately, you're making a lot of assumptions, and incorrect ones at that.

First and foremost, historically speaking, our company doesn't advertise very much.  We generally rely on word of mouth.

A few weeks ago, some of our players started a thread on our message boards pointing this out to us and asking us WHY we don't have ads in magazines or banners on lots of websites.  Several pointed out TMS to me and said "Hey, we entered DR here!" so I came over to check it out (you can see that our TMS entry was made by Cemm, one of our players if you want to check).  

I contacted Adam to find out just what the rules were about getting our game into the voting list instead of just in the database.

We set up the link to vote and, in light of the traffic that ultimately played a part in TMS crashing the other day, I'm now working with Adam to get some advertising money sent his way on a regular basis to compensate for the extra bandwidth and strain we're causing.

We're not here to "cheapen" TMS.  We're not here to "attack" any of the MUDs that are doing QUITE well without charging any sort of fee, even ones that are selling "credits" and items in game to cover their costs.  We're not here to suck the blood of the MUDding community and stomp on everyone else.  We don't want to be "number one at all costs!" and I'm actively encouraging our players not to "cheat" or otherwise do anything to influence the actual numbers.  (Actually, I sort of like the idea of hiding the actual votes and randomly rotating the top 10 or 20 MUDs on the home page.)

I'm here to make sure that people know there are other games around that they might not have tried out.  I'm here to try to support the community that still knows deep down that the "book" is better than the "movie".  I'm also here to show our players that there are a lot of other games out there and if they don't like something about DR, there are plenty of other places to spend their time.

I know there are plenty of people who think that any games that have a subscription cost are "evil" and "ruin the community".  You're welcome to have that opinion.  However, I still have yet to see how simply saying "Hi, we're here and we think we're a pretty good game and we'd love to see what you think." is "a bad thing" and destructive to the community that we ARE a part of (and have been for 14+ years), like it or not.

In closing, I'd be more than happy to put a $$ marker on our entry if that's what Adam decides to do.