View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #13
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
It has nothing to do with people saying bad things. If it was just that, then you'd be right: all news is good news.

First, players get upset when some jerk lies about their game and posts a bunch of BS. Then they feel compelled to post replies on these forums, or flood enough reviews to counter-act it, etc. I want my players having FUN playing our game. I don't want them stressing over or feeling bad about some troll's review.

Second, the reviews are bad because of the "good" ones as well. Fanbois get OUT of control. They make outlandish claims in good reviews- sometimes false. They also often expect some kind of tangible gratitude from the game/game admins for their loyal support. When you catch a fanboi cheating, they'll give lame excuses like "but I sent 5476901231 positive reviews to TMS/TMC/site of the month." Remember: Fanbois and trolls are the same thing. They are unbalanced, crazed, lunatics engaging in totally inappropriate behavior.

Third, there is a big difference between "saying bad things" and outright defamation. If someone has a successful game, then the trolls and jealous wanks will do everything they can to attack it- including devoting their lives to posting as many false, defamatory (a bit redundant) things they can about the mud, its admins, and its players.

Fourth, (somewhat implied already) it is the personal attacks that trolls use that are far more damaging than "saying bad things" about the game. Such things should not be tolerated in "reviews", but they happen constantly via player reviews.

That is why any serious game operator should do the smart thing and turn them off.

It doesn't matter if the reviews you are turning away are good, bad, or somewhere in between. There are huge negatives about all of them and barely any positives.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote