View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 12:12 PM   #11
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
An awful lot of good suggestions and it really does relate to the type of Mu* you build for. If perchance, your focus in on player interaction with the world then you do need to do a reasonable amount of planning for the purposes of "consistency and context" between areas. By reasonable I mean there is some coordinator who has a good image of the whole world and oversees zonal placement and can provide guidance to others for context.

In explanation:

--I oversee our whole world (similar in size to yours) and it's divided into 4 continents plus some extraneous areas. I use maps, zonal review, feedback from proofers and builder wishes to guide zonal locating to keep context.

--We have 4 continent managers to do the maps, provide advise to builders and do the connections as needed. Each has a team to work with OR evaluates and selects zones based on new builder's wishes for a location.

--Both the teams and senior builders are increasing size either by proofing or looking for neat zones to add and incorporate into their respective continents while they are in progress.

With a "world interaction" focus, a zone can't be just "plopped" down anywhere but there are numerous opportunies to guide the builders so the end product fits where itended or needed. Our builders have free reign to do the zone of their dreams and interest with the only unusual oversights being will it fit contextually or balance-wise near where they wish it to be placed. If not, the zone is modified by the builder or it goes elsewhere if at all.

While I think a "mob interaction" or "pk focus" Mu* doesn't need to deal with these issues as much as a whole, as a builder, the idea of "unplanned plop" bothers me. A zone sets a stage, the room defines progression within that stage and the tone of it sets the mood for the final encounter with the boss mob. World exploring progression from one zone to the next should never be snow-covered instantly to the depths of #### just as you shouldn't find it reasonable for a newbie zone to be adjacent to an expert zone as a the result of plopping.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote