View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 07:44 PM   #3
Albion

Albion is on a distinguished road
I have been playing my MUD since '98 and have had exactly one incidence of Staffer interaction for RP for a 25 minute period of personal attention. That is not to say the staff isn't involved in RP - the convoluted plot consuming our "world" now is mind boggling in its scope and complexity - albeit leaving no room for sub plots and elder help for other projects at the moment. The staff do a fantastic job setting up this macro-RP opportunity. Again, they have little time it seems for anything else right now.

Sooo, I am a huge proponent of generating RP for my merry circle of friends. Based on my character's story-line, and using liberally worded emotes (what we call "smile magic") I generally make my own RP happen sans help from the staff. It isn't always epic - one fantastic example cited on our boards was an elf that RP'ed tracking a bear for over an hour in game to remove a splinter ("Look at the paw print - you can tell the creature favors that foot - and see? There is the mark of a splinter or something" etc etc.) More often than not, those "little incidents" are far more compelling than "my character has a rare disease or is possessed" ones. They average RPer won't hang onto a player generated plot that long. "Smile Magic" can sustain a plot only so long before it becomes contrived and boring.

Why? I have had little luck catching the staff's attention, and am at the point now where I'd rather not wait around for them. Often by the time they get a response out, the impetus of the request has become irrelevant. I've also set up meetings with the staff only to have them not show. This in reference to requests for direct intervention.

I will say the I generally consult the staff before I do anything too out of the norm to ensure I am conforming to the staff's idea of how things aught to run. Frees them up from having to interface with my char.

In closing ::snickers:: - If ya stick within the parameters set for your race and class, making up your own RP for the benefit of friends is very satisfying, especially if the target audience a) is new (which does wonders for retention) and b) is willing to play along.

I would say that when doing this, avoid high traffic areas. Nothing stomps yer RP more than several other chars chatting away amicably about what ever while you are in the middle of becoming possesed by that pesky sword of yours. LOL.

Cheers, and happy suspention of reality to you all.

Albion
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote