View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 04:23 PM   #52
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Actually, that's not quite accurate. If I wanted to hire a pure coder, I wouldn't have hired Chad. No offence to him, but there are better pure coders out there, with more experience, as he is aware. To a large degree this will be his project. Yes, of course, Iron Realms and by extension I, will have final control, but beyond the high-level design structure, which Chad and I will work on together, most of the decisions will be up to him. In other words, I didn't hire him to be 'just' a coder, and if that's how he looked at his role, the project would fail. He was hired to be the project's producer, which means he's responsible for all non-business aspects of it. The design is at least as important as the code and building a competent and capable team is also of equal importance.

I look at text MUDs this way: Any reasonably competent coder can do just about anything that is needed with them. It's the design that makes or breaks them.

Hey man, you don't have to like our games. I dare say I don't like most games of any type that are released. I mean, aside from any specific things you don't like about them, if someone's broadly looking for a DIKU-style Hack & Slash or a mud that forces you to roleplay or a mud focused on furry sex, they'd definitely be better off looking elsewhere. No game can appeal to everyone...especially text MUDs, which barely appeal to anyone!

What I dislike are the schmucks who spout total nonsense like, "You suck because MUDs were meant to be free." or "Doing something you love for a living is selling out!" and that kind of thing. They're entitled to their opinions, but then, so is someone who believes the earth is flat. Doesn't mean they don't have a screw loose.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote