View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: What constitutes a good PK system?

The responses here and on TMC has made me realize that it probably isn't a good idea to abandon our current system, where Non-PK are prevented by the code from killing and being killed.

Still, there is obviously something in the system that is unsatisfactory for the part of our players that choose to go PK, and there has been a rather heated discussion on our intern Mud Forums raging for some weeks.
(The URL is , in case anyone is interested).

However it seems that the discussion on our Forum is a bit skewed by some inflamed player relations, which is one reason why I wanted to get some input from totally unbiased people, who are quite detached from our little community.

We try to cater for different groups of players, whether their main interest is RP, PK or just exploring and questing or pure hack'n'slash. But isn't always easy, if one group feel that they get a stepmotherly treatment, as seems to be the case with the Pkillers now. A fact is that very few new players choose to go PK nowadays, which might be a reaction of the current PK culture, but also a sign that there aren't enough incentives to outweigh the risks. This in turn leads to the PK community becoming too small to really present any challenges. There are simply not enough potential adversaries with a suitable level and tier to present a good match. And the tier system also is a problem when it comes to calculating the PK equation.

So, I repeat the question: What features do PKillers especially like? How can we make PK more interesting and challenging? Input from pure PK Muds would be especially appreciated
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote