View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: What constitutes a good PK system?

I think killing for killing's sake has a place in games where killing is the focus, but I'd caution against trying to make a game all things to all people. In my opinion, "PK points," flags and whatnot have no place in a game if you're going for character development and role-play in a living persistent world. That's not to say character vs. character combat shouldn't be a part. Personally, I think "player-killing" should be allowed, unequivocally and unfettered, in a quality role-playing environment, with the caveats that 1) char vs. char combat grows from role-play, and 2) there are possible repercussions to balance the rewards. Such an environment offers different opportunities for those who want to play killers, above and beyond points and stuff. It would include conflict inherent to the world and its story, attractive oppositional positions with roles for assassins, paladins, mercenaries, zealots, bounty hunters, lawkeeps, etc. (Check out .) The plotting, scheming and character/history development driven by an architecture like this makes murder a craft, much more fulfilling than collecting points. Just my opinion.

A good "PK system" absolutely must involve rich, flexible, interesting combat mechanics, success with which depends at least as much on player ability as it does character skill.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote