View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #60
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I didn't even see the "RP intensive" as in, not necessarily an RPI by definition of the historical standard, but RPI by NewWorlds' definition, when I visited his game. So I don't know where he comes off telling anyone else what an RPI should be, because his own game doesn't fit his own criteria. Go ahead and check his website - you have to be IN game to see the help files, because there isn't any place on the website to click to them - which means your character has to be idle and be NOT roleplaying, while the player is reading the help files. Real intensive there.

Then there's the RP logs - the bulk of which involve:

So and so smiles
A different so and so nods
So and so says, to no one in particular because most players here don't direct what they're saying to anyone, "yeah"
Another so and so smiles softly
So and so nods
Some other so and so smiles.

And then a dozen people pray softly and lighten the area...yet you don't see anyone attempting to shield their eyes from what must be blinding light by now. You don't see the grass wither, you don't see children scream...we're talking 5,000,000,000 candlepower light by now, clearly, and everyone is still just smiling and nodding.

(the arguement is: well that's just the echo of the pray command for clerics, or whatever. And my arguement back to them is - the game enforces, promotes, and supports "intensive roleplay" how, exactly, if no one is reacting to echoes of many people making an already-lit area lighter, and lighter, and lighter, and lighter...?)

Yeah, that just sucks me into the RP like no other game I've ever played. I don't know about anyone else but wow. And notice the creative lack of punctuation. It's so intensive I'm waiting to see someone say, "hey u no where 2 find teh mob 4 lvl 2????!!!!1111"

In addition, New Worlds claims that it's custom, here on TopMudsites. Yet on the MudConnector, it says it's LP (Custom) which implies that it is a derivitive of an LP mud, and not a "true" custom. Is it an LP mud? Or is it a custom code? Or is it whatever the forum member known as NewWorlds decides he wants it to be, just like he's decided he wants to call his RP-enforced hack-n-slash an RPI?

New Worlds just wants his game to seem more "special" and he thinks that calling his game an RPI will make it more special. It's a nice mud, as muds go, but it isn't an RPI, it isn't even RP-intensive. It's just a nice mud for people who are looking for nice muds. If you're looking for an RPI and get suckered into trying his game without first reading the website, you'll find his game doesn't remotely resemble an RPI, in ANY sense of the term.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote