View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #33
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
LOL!

Hrm, good point.

I forget where but I was talking with Kavir or someone about that. I think it was in "advanced combat systems".

Combining the strategic feel of gaining power over time with the tactical feel of PvP has some challenges, the only cure for which I see is something like a base gain just for logging in and playing for x minutes as week, plus some sort of bonus for whatever you feel is worth giving the bonus for. For rp muds, x number of words typed in the presence of other active pc's might work. Typical hack and slashers might give bonuses for killing x points worth of mobs. There definitely needs to be something to keep catassers from dominating as they pretty much have for ages on muds, or video games in general.

I guess if I roll back my prejudices, I have to say though that in any competative game, such as golf for example, the prize often goes to the one who puts countless hours in, so there's some precedent to catassing I suppose.

Makes me ponder the development of the video game competitions that are beginning to be viable sourves of income for some of the best players. Those tend to be tactical sim games and the like with no leveling requirements. Unreal Tournament I think I saw on G4 for example.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote