View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
xanes

xanes is on a distinguished road
Certainly, if it's all player driven, then you can assume rationality and everything will handle itself. I was thinking more about how to do this in a game where NPCs ran the shops.

I don't see how RP has much bearing on that. There'd have to be a lot of xp involved for me to sit in a general store selling waterskins. <g> At some point we must realize that for players to realize any kind of fantasy, their in-game jobs can't bee TOO much like minimum wage drugeries IRL. I do, however, see your point.

I think I need to make myself more clear though. I'm talking about price setting economies for NPCs.

If the shopkeep knows that the going rate for, say, a torch is seven gp, then he'll list it at 10 gp, but will accept an offer for 6 or 7 or something based on his inventory. Each transaction is put into some sort of aggregate function to determine those market prices. The shopkeep will have to 'order' more items every so often (PULSE_ECONOMY?) and will, in some way, make rational decisions in that regard.

-X
xanes is offline   Reply With Quote