View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Sarias

Name: Stacy
Home MUD: NWAteraan
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Sarias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sarias
Re: Why Do So Many Women Play Threshold RPG?

1) What do you think makes a game attractive to women gamers?

Having played two muds and one moo before playing the one I play now, number one thing would have to be safety. I tend to stick with smaller muds, because my problem with big muds was that when I tried to complain about harrassment nothing would happen. And I mean like ooc stalking/ic stalking sort of thing. Then I found in smaller muds, especially the one I was playing for ten years, wanted to please all parties involved so I found them compromising with the male characters so that they would stay.

Second is casual. Don't get me wrong, I love hack and slash, played that way since I was thirteen and now I am twenty four. But I find with muds that promote levels and remorts and grinding, you lose a lot of the casualness of creating a story of your own. But I also found that games that are strictly rp, no mobs or weapons or the like, you lose the casualness of just wanting to bash something over the head because you are frustrated that day. Some days I want to think and some days I do not want to think, so a casual do whatever suits you game appeals to me as a girl.

Third is content, I am a girl that reads a lot. I enjoy immersing myself in a world and visualing every aspect of it. Which is why I find it unusual that more girls do not play muds, but like I stated before girls will not play your game if they feel like creepy men will be following them around and you will do nothing to protect them. But, back to content, you do not need to write "girly" rooms to make it attractive to us, as I have seen some places do. You just need to put some effort into what you write besides there is a tree, a rock, and the sky in this room.

Fourth but not really least is maturity. Probably why I play an 18+ game right now, because I got tired of the talk that became apparent in teenage boys. Now, even adult men and women are that way, but it is not as apparent. I really enjoy the game I play now has rules for respect, harrassment, not blurring lines between ooc and ic. Things that should be necessary for human beings. If you play a game just to make others miserable, because you are miserable or you have low self esteem... Means you should probably be seeking therapy.

Overview of the type of game I enjoy, short version for those that do not like to read: safe, casual, immersing, and mature.
Sarias is offline   Reply With Quote