View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 11:25 AM   #5
Pasano

Pasano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pasano
The issue I have with the options provided by Brody is that it seems like too much of a controlled process. I believe that some degree of chaos and randomness to the PK world does add spice and flair to it, and as long as you're not working on a perm-death mud, dying really doesnt have any consequence beyond the frustration of the loser and perhaps some gold and/or experience.

My interest in this, is that I'm seeking to either start my own mud with some friends or take on a position (as I posted on the staffing board) on another mud coordinating roleplay. I'm trying to get an early jump on things.

Ideally, I think the most enjoyable system, if properly respected by players and managed by immortals, is one no different than that of a typical PK mud. One where, within level or skill range, you have the freedom to walk into a room and attack/kill someone. The issue then becomes, how do you deal with players who abuse this freedom. Or better yet, how do you prove that they have, in fact, abused the system.

For example, Joe the fighter walks into the town square, slaughters mike the wizard, and steals his gold. Mike asks Joe why he attacked him, the two having never even met before. Joe says "I wanted to take your money." Clearly, this is poor roleplay, but it's something that happens every day in real life. It is a real life scenario that's being played out, and punishing something like that OOCly seems to be in bad form.

The ideas that I have in mind are as follows:

1) Requirement of a completion of something like 10 questions on every character. If the questions are not answered, the character can not level past say... level 10. These questions would be used to establish the nature and personality of a character beyond alignment. Any prejudice against certain races would have to be explained here, tendancies towards violence, derrangements and, in general, the personality, direction and goals of the character. These answers would be stored in a players PFile, and should a PK come into question, the answers given could be reviewed. A character who is seeking to become a political leader, and who describes himself as noble and chivalrous could then be punished when he goes out of character to massacre someone for their money.

2) A strict and tangable law system in which characters are punished for crimes they commit. These punishments would include, but not be limited to: Monetary Fines, Imprisonment, Execution and Banishment (from cities/towns). Enforcement of laws would fall mostly on the players, but would include NPC support in the form of guards and perhaps NPC bounty hunter types who would track down criminals and bring them to justice.

In order for this to work though, the prison system has to be interesting as well. It'd cant be 'sit on your ass in a cell.' We're punishing the character, not the player. Prison could perhaps include arena-like prison fights, smuggling of weapons/drugs and a possibility of escape.

I've seen things along these lines attempted, and I've seen them basically fail. I wonder, if done truley right, could a system like this function? Suggestions? Comments?
Pasano is offline   Reply With Quote