View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #28
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

I'd have to agree this is violation of the spirit of the game if not direct rules in forums. The forum posts I saw were from two perm'd players looking to hook up with previous friends and one new player looking to find someone to roleplay with. All were answered by other players. You have to understand this was several years ago. If the posts still exist, I'll send a link.

Keep in mind, this isn't a bash on Arm as they run a pretty tight ship from what I've seen. It is merely an example that this type off perm and restart is active everywhere and even if players don't talk on forums they surely talk on IM. My point was that permadeath most of the time is nothing more than starting again and likely with not much variation in character play.

On NWA if a player is perm'd they must do a number of things to prove their new choice of a new character with background and where they begin. They normally cannot choose a similar path (for example if you are permed as a slave you cannot recreate as a slave in the southland). This tends to force a player to take each character creation more seriously.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote