Thread: You
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2003, 06:11 AM   #24
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I'm wondering the same thing myself.  For the third time, the problem is not with using "you", or with telling people how they feel - the problem is with sending potentially inaccurate information.

As you yourself have said in your most recent post, you think it's okay to use "you" if you have dynamic descriptions.  The point that I have to keep reiterating is that it's not a matter of dynamic or static descriptions - it's a matter of information accuracy.  If your mud cannot provide an accurate statement about something, then it shouldn't.

Now you're generaling the other way.  Not all muds have hunger implemented - therefore within such muds a "you are hungry" message would not be based on factual information, and should therefore not be used.  Once again, it's not a matter of "you", or telling people information about themselves - it's a matter of how accurate that information is.

So in a pen&paper roleplaying game, you think something like this would be perfectly reasonable?

GM: Suddenly a huge green dragon the size of a house sweeps down from the sky and lands before you.  You're paralysed with fear!

Player: No I'm not!  I don't need you to tell me how I should react. That is MY choice to make.

GM: But your character has a courage rating of 1% and a phobia of dragons - you even called him Conan the Cowardly!

Player: Yeah, but I don't want to be afraid this time, and this is MY character to control in any way I see fit.  So I'll give the dragon the finger, and then go down the tavern for an ale.

In the above example, the GM knows the character would be afraid.  In some muds, the same assumption can be made.  It all depends on what information you have available - if you know the character would be afraid, then I see no problem with telling them that.  If you know the character would be hungry, then I see no problem with telling them that.  If you know the character is craving alcohol, then I see no problem with telling them that.

But the point I'm making is not about dynamic descriptions, or about the use of emotions - the point is concerning the use of "you", and the fact that there is nothing wrong with it.  The only problem is sending inaccurate information to the player, and that's something which you cannot generalise about, because many muds know different quantities of detail about the characters.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote