View Single Post
Old 05-04-2002, 08:26 PM   #5
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
Yeah. I thought I'd do that too when I applied. And I did, for six months.

And after those six months, I realized I hadn't actually done much real work.

Oh yes, I did answer tells. Dozens of them. After a time, most were about justifying or advocating a higher staff member's decision.
Or explaining why a domain lord working on completely different areas than mine had just made some minor spot more difficult.
Or listening to a single series of about a dozen different ideas for improvement, each deemed "original" but retold countless times by different people, and trying to justify why we wouldn't implement them (as if I had any say in the matter). Or arbitrating stupid name-calling fights on global channels. And zillions of other small and petty matters.

Well, after six months, I felt badly burnt out, and started spending most of my remaining year on that place's staff mostly invis, actually producing real work for the game. And oddly enough, the times when I was visible, all of a sudden the signal to noise rations of tells and mails was ten times higher than before.

Anyway, I'm not suited for player relationship positions, that's certainly clear.
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote