View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You might want to give God Wars II a try.  It's only been in open beta for a couple of days, so it's still rather rough around the edges - but I've spent five years designing, developing and refining the combat system, and it's certainly pretty intricate (you can also check the to get an idea of how much work has gone into it).

-Targettable body parts on enemies

Each fighting technique targets one or more body parts.  If a particular technique can target more than one, then the actual choice is random, although most techniques will only target a single location or small subset of locations.  Note that there are dozens of different weapons*, and each has a wide range of techniques, many of which are specific to one of the 25 fighting styles.  In total there are just short of five thousand combat techniques.

* Although I use the term 'weapons' rather loosely - any object in the game can be used as a weapon, as can small creatures.  There are few things more satisfying than beating the naga queen to death with her own babies...

-Complex AI for MOBs

Each mob has its own tactics and available options, and you won't beat them all with the same strategy.  Animals and monsters often use natural weapons such as claws, bites, breath attacks, and such, while the more humanoid mobs will typically use weapons.  Some mobs will use ranged weapons, but they'll sheathe them and draw melee weapons if you get close - and if you break their weapons, they'll revert to unarmed combat.

-PvP is not required.  I don't really like PvP in stat based games.

You're safe from PK while within the starting world, and within the randomly-generated dungeons that lie throughout it.  Eventually you'll probably want to move on to the Nexus though, and that is PvP.

-Pseudo-Realistic effects for combat, IE if I kill a monster, I don't want to be a meaningless kill... maybe if I kill too many in an aread, they relocate or send out hunting parties for me.

There are no social consequences for killing mobs (at this point, anyway), if that's what you mean.  But then there aren't any neutral mobs, either.

-Not class based or level based - I find these to be too restrictive.  I like to have a unique skill set.

There are classes, but not in the conventional sense; you start off unclassed, and build up your character while learning the player skills required to fight effectively.  You can then join a class, which grants access to supernatural powers - for example a vampire can transform into a swarm of bats, a werewolf can craft fang necklaces, a demon can summon hellhounds, and so on.  All classes have access to all of the 'normal' abilities though, and there are no levels.

-Prefferably no HP system.  I prefer wound/alternative systems with maybe HP as a secondary way to kill things.

There are hp as a general measure, although you can also inflict special wounds (losing a hand is nasty, as one of your two main combat locations changes to a 'stump' combat table).  There are also numerous alternatives to direct damage, such as sweeps, stuns, entangles, feints, and so on.

-RP instensive would be a plus

Non-RP.  But if you want an intricate combat system, and you're not put off by the learning curve of something completely different (including a true coordinate-based world instead of the usual room-based system), I'd suggest giving it a go:

God Wars II: godwars2.com 3000

Make sure you check 'help newbie', 'help tutorial' and 'help tutorial2' to learn the manual combat system.  Learning to simultaneously control four separate body locations (left hand, right hand, head and feet) takes time, but the results can be pretty nifty:

KaVir draws his katana from his belt with his right hand.

KaVir whirls his katana around his body.

You arch your body into the stance called 'Coiled Serpent'.

KaVir leaps up into the air.

KaVir backflips away from you.

You perform the technique known as 'Embrace of the Serpent'.
You whirl your right whip in a low arc beneath KaVir.

KaVir performs the technique known as 'Circling Raptor'.
KaVir spins his katana around his body with blinding speed.

KaVir assumes the stance called 'Swooping Hawk'.
KaVir lands back on his feet and drops into a defensive crouch.

You lash at KaVir's face with your whip.
He ducks under your blow.

KaVir grips the hilt of his katana in both hands.

KaVir slowly circles around you to your left.

You twist into the stance called 'Slithering Snake'.
You start carefully stalking towards KaVir.

KaVir throws a spinning sweep at your legs.
You hop over his sweep.

KaVir lashes out at you with a spinning side kick.
Your left whip coils around his ankle, entangling it.

You yank hard on your left whip, pulling KaVir from his feet!

KaVir performs the technique known as 'Bird Takes Flight'.
KaVir whirls his body around in midair.

KaVir perform the technique known as 'Striking Hawk'.
KaVir spins his katana swiftly across your neck, decapitating you!

KaVir assumes the stance called 'Swooping Hawk'.
KaVir lands back on his feet and drops into a defensive crouch.

You crash to the ground.

Your severed head crashes to the ground.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote