View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a Balance/Affliction based MUD

Simutronics uses timed actions, separated into what is termed "hard time" and "soft time".

"Hard time" happens when in melee combat, climbing surfaces requiring skill, wearing/unwearing armor, and performing various physical actions. No other physical actions (other then emotes, talking and informational commands) can be taken until the seconds are over.

"Soft time" is time accrued through casting spells, and allows you to change your melee stance (which cannot be done while waiting in hard time, and affects your defense/offense, sometimes leaving you rather vulnerable), as well as all the other actions available during "hard time".

While I can see both styles ("balance" and "timed" combat) having the nifty name "balance" there are differences that I have noted when playing each. For one the "balance" games tend to message when you are able to commit another action (e.g. "You regain your balance."), where as the "timed" games usually tell you directly after the action how much time before you can do another action (e.g. "Wait: 5 seconds") and then leave it to the player to time their next action.

I personally prefer either to auto-combat, though I understand the reasons behind such systems.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote