View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #52
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

The example I posted was a straight emote. If you copied and pasted it to many games I've played, it would come out as would any emote with speech imbedded. Granted, it's a little more work, and looks junky if the person typing it doesn't punctuate well, but that sure seems like an exercise in hair-splitting.

Not that it's relevant, but I've used such emotes even in a game that had commands for say, sayto, address, recite, sing, orate, proclaim, whisper, groupwhisper, intone, yell and chant, all of which were coded speech modes. I did it because no matter how encoded the verblist is, nor how modified, emote is the only truly customizable way to do this.
[Edited to add] In fact, the game I played for ten years had a 'possessive emote' coding, so you could truly customize the emote.
>emote 's voice trembles as he asserts, "You own these grasses?"
Or you could modify the speech verb with an adverb, such as >say shakily. >say fearfully (cautiously, etc.)
No matter how encoded emotes are, or speech is, it's been my experience that such things only make typing easier, and do very little measurably to upgrade the quality of emotes. (With the acknowledgement that the example used earlier does allow sentences to start with something other than the character's name.)

I'm a little amused that this is considered somehow 'twinkish'. 'Circumventing the language code' seems sort of...I don't know...an excuse to view someone as twinkish. I could see that being a legit beef if the character in question was hard-coded to be mute or stuttered, or emoted speaking in a code-supported language he didn't know, or did so to circumvent coding for a magic spell that silences an AoE. I could definitely see someone's thong in a noose if said emote exactly emulated a spell's prep words or feigned a special attack battlecry, although I'm sure in some cases, such an emote might be perfectly reasonable.

In that -very- specific example, I -might- see that someone would object, since the emote indicated a posture change (rising from a crouch), if postures are hard-coded, but that would be the case in both an "RPI" or a "non-RPI", unless there's some really complex emote codes out there I'm not aware of. In such cases, most people would just type 'stand' right after the emote, to take care of the mechanics of posture, or re-word the emote to 'begins to rise from a crouch', for the genuine purist who says, "He stood up twice! Twink!"

Most games I've ever played had pretty well-defined rules on emote abuse, and most people understand intuitively these boundaries, but I'd never heard that emplacing speech within an action for facilitating a better sentence was some borderline violation.

Last edited by Disillusionist : 05-05-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote