View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 05:28 PM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Interesting, but you're getting WAY ahead of a very simple question. In the game I'm talking about, no such greeting system exists, and it was *just an example* of different aspects of dynamic code. It wasn't even the thrust of the arguement on the other forum, though that one example was taken out of context and trashed soundly. That's what brought me here with the question.

Not "how can we make greetings work" or "how can we make greetings better." But rather, CAN greetings work in a massively populated game? And it isn't even greetings. It's any sort of dynamics where you are seeing more than a few dozen people in a day's time. We're talking a game with literally, several HUNDRED THOUSAND character pfiles, and usually close to 1500 characters actively in the game *at any given moment.*

Can a database handle the kinds of dynamics I've seen in small population games, if the database is filled with that many pfiles?

That's my question.

Edited to add - I'm not sure it would even make any sense to do greetings in a game like that. You walk into one of the more popular rooms and see:

Room Description.
Also here are an elf, an elf, an elf, a dwarf, a giant, an elf, an elf, a human, a human, a human, an elf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a human, the corpse of a giant, a giant, a giant, a human, a dark elf, a dark elf, a halfing, a halfling, a halfling, a human, and a tiny kitten.

Trying to look at each one of those people before deciding which one to introduce yourself to would be totally nuts, especially when the characters come and go every second and the entire list of "Also here" people change constantly. By the time you get to the 5th elf, he isn't even there anymore.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote