Old 11-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #11
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
(Newbie) Nashalya: Got to do that by asking people

(Newbie) Babbette: usually they do it in rp

(Newbie) Tzydin: groupmaters are IC (in-character) matter

(Newbie) Nashalya: use who group and who newbie to find people to ask

(Newbie) Gremnosh: Help tell

(Newbie) Alexi: who group shows a list of those whom it is possible for you to group with

(Newbie) An Immortal: 'help newbie channel' explains. Use say, tell, etc. to communicate with other players IC.

(Newbie) Tzydin: then type 'help newbie' and 'help newbie2'

(Newbie) Tzydin: and in the end type 'help ic' and you're set

----------------------

All the above look like -positive- rather than -negative- sends from players who are offering their help. It's pretty clear to me that they were being short and concise so as to deliver the information requested without a lot of fluff inbetween.

If you want fluffy snuggly-pooh teddy-bear hand-outs, find a fluffy snuggly-pooh teddy-bear game. In your post, your wording of your opinion seems to imply that you would rather have had half the game start shouting HEY NEWBIE WELCOME TO THE GAME! Glad to have you here, so how's your mom? Do you have a dog? I do, his name's Fluff and he's great! Oh and by the way, find me in the game and pretend that you don't know me. I'm Jojo and I'm on Main Street at the tavern. you can get there from where you are by typing n, ne, e, ne, up, s, e, ne, enter tavern. Then look for me, you'll know it's me because my name's on your screen. Don't worry that my character doesn't know you from a hole in the wall. We'll just pretend we're roleplaying and I"ll give you lots of stuff and take you hunting. Even though my race hates yours but hey - it's just a game right? We'll pretend that my character likes yours anyway. Just so I can help you. And take you hunting. And give you stuff. Oh and don't worry about that OOC newbie channel, you can just ask me ooc stuff when we meet up and ignore the rules since no one cares about them anyway. They just SAY it's a strict game where you really need to read the helpfiles before playing, but they don't really mean it.

OR

They could just save themselves a lot of unneccessary drivel by saying exactly what was said. If a newbie's feelings get hurt by being given facts instead of diatribe, then he probably shouldn't be playing that kind of game anyway.

The original question was answered, by a few different people, each giving different information that would help the newbie find what he needed to find in the most appropriate method available. Perhaps you prefer the touchy-feely method, but touchy-feely isn't efficient. As for "where in the game" they should find people, I'm guessing the helpfiles explained in great detail either exactly where to find them, or how to look for them via roleplaying and aventure. I don't play Carrion Fields so I wouldn't know but it sounds like the kind of game that takes its help files and RP-enforcement seriously.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote