Thread: Advanced LPC
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
Loriel

Loriel is on a distinguished road
My own experience, which is predominantly with Lima, was the reverse - I found the Descartes manuals easier.

Skimming through them again following your comments, I think the problems of being "specific mudlib-related" are different in the two cases :
Descartes appears to do a better job of explaining in a generic style (which makes it a bit less detailed), mentioning the differences between compat & native mode drivers, and create() & reset() for initialising objects. Where he fails is in the examples provided (and examples make it a lot more concrete and easier to follow) - these appear to be rather heavily based on Nightmare.
The WIkh manual makes no claims to be "general", and in the latter stages it includes a lot of driver/mudlib-specific stuff - and it often takes some research to find which ones don't exist, or are different, in the actual mudlib/driver you use. On the other hand, his examples seem easier to follow, and of course the fact that he actually finished the course means that the manual is more "complete".

Final comment - read them both, and use the one you are more comfortable with.
Loriel is offline   Reply With Quote