View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Codebase with Crafting

Well, if you don't know enough coding to make one, you're probably not going to get far. In all honesty, I'm sure there's codebases like coffeemud that provide their own crafting, and I'm sure they're perfectly good, but my advice to you is, if you want to impress new players, make your own never-seen-before system.

If you want to run coffeemud, there's linode (what Dentin recommends if I recall correctly), and the lowest package probably would work. Also, bhost, which is cheaper, but probably at the cost of tech support. If you have a free server, then switching may not be something you want to look into, but if you're paying, well...let me put it this way. Bhost is 5 dollars. I can get, for slightly more, a package twice as large as Genesismud's biggest package, for half the price. Linode is more expensive, but appears to offer more tech support and tools for when something inevitably goes wrong, and probably a faster network. There's a ton of options out there that can run coffeemud for a reasonable price.

Coffeemud is the only codebase with out of the box crafting that I am aware of, at least as the term is understood by me. There's Diku potion brewing snippets, but they are really not real crafting: brew <spellname>, no material resources required in most cases. I'm sure you can find something besides it, but the truth is, Coffeemud is a mud without areas, not a mud codebase, and that's why it has all the stuff it does. That's both good and bad: it gets you off the ground quickly, but there's less room for originality. That said, you can practically do just about anything from the building interface--I even looked into the feasibility of making player assemblable factories once--so long as you've got builders who know a bit of programming.

The LP mudlibs may be a place to look for this sort of thing, but if you're not able to write your own, you're probably not able to build for an LP mud, as LPC building is the same as LPC programming.

Codebases with well-developed crafting, in my experience, are few and very far between.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote