View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
While we're at it (sprucing up the review system) -

Currently, lots of people who aren't site contributors put up reviews. I think it's great, however I would *really* like to have some manner of "etiquette list" provided for all reviewers.

There are several games where reviewers will post negative things, and then get countered by people who want to discuss the negative points. They do it in the review section, rather than here in the forum, which bumps their game to the top of the reviews list for the sole purpose of having a conversation with a single reviewer.

I find that more annoying than the spam. If I want to see a discussion I'll come to the discussion forum. The reviews section is not a place for discussions, but most of the people who need to know that, don't read the forums, and therefore won't know that it's considered impolite.

My suggestion is - when someone tries to post a review, OR on any game's given "reviews list," a single paragraph be provided to spell out specifically what the reviews section is for and ask the posters to kindly comply with the etiquette.

If that doesn't help (I like to think the best of people, and assume that most "violators of etiquette" simply aren't educated about this matter), then more significant code could be implemented. Such as how they do it on TMC, giving people a "respond to review" link. That way only the review itself would determine the game's placement on the review list, and responses would have no impact on that, yet at the same time, people would be able to respond without being impolite.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote