View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #34
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Every MUD deals with cheaters of some type, so I highly doubt that's a specific problem for your MUD.  In fact, in the case of the review which prompted this discussion, the poster in question was not a cheater, simply someone who was disappointed by the experience of your game.  Your decision to post a reply here and to suspend reviews seems far more motivated by your unwillingness to admit to the failings of your MUD and your desire to spin any realistic assessment of those failings in another direction.

As for posting reviews on TMC, that just suggests that you want to be able to spin every review.  If this is such a problem, I'd wager the issue lies in your game, not in the people that review it.  I've seen this problem before.

Years ago, I posted a review of a MUD on TMC, and the staff of that MUD responded that the problems I spoke of "were true at one time but that was a long time ago" yet I had witnessed them only days before posting.  It was a lie on their part (because I'd also pointed it out on numerous occasions to their staff within a period of months prior) and a conscious effort to spin my observation in a positive light when it was a serious problem with the game (which was otherwise a fantastic MUD).  That seems to be the case here as well.

You don't seem to have an issue with reviews, you have an issue with insightful ones.  It doesn't appear, and again I cite the review that prompted this discussion, you have the problem of trolls and cheaters (posting); you have the problem of disappointed and/or dissatisfied players.  Disappointed/dissatisfied players are usually the result of one of two things:  either the MUD itself is deficient in some basic way or the way in which you've advertised your MUD is not altogether factual.  Those lead to disappointment and dissatisfaction.  There lies your problem and only by correcting this will you likely be able to solve your issues.  But simply responding to reviews just perpetuates the problem.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote