View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: Games as service

From my understanding, the server system for AC is **vastly** superior in how it handles moving between servers than EQ or WoW have done, so maybe the next game to come along will at least realize that, and aquire the design. Ironically, this also means that its probably very hard to manage to replicate it, the way they did when creating stand alone EQ1 servers.

But yeah, I had kind of hoped, given some of what I heard of how much less zonish and prone to making you wait when moving from area to area, it was, that they would eventually use it to make something even better. Of course, given that I am an EQ2 player, I can't help but hope that Sony picks it up from them and builds a better EQ with it. lol

Really though, we are at a cross roads. On one hand, in theory, something like Second Life might continue forever, as long as the archetecture allowed for expanding the game design, like happened with the internet itself, though SL is "probably" not there yet, for a lot of reasons. On the other hand, systems that are stable, complex and strictly targetted at game play and the like cannot last forever, if for no other reason than because its damn hard to improve the technology that makes it work, without radical changes to the client, the servers, and even the data. Its unfortunate, but inevitable.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote