Thread: Fact VS Opinion
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Fact VS Opinion

I find it oh-so-ironic that you choose to post this particular observation in a thread dedicated to Fact vs Opinion, unless you should really have included the good old [SARCASM] tags.

If I was running a MUD, I wouldn't feel threatened in the slightest. Why? Because in my opinion, your favourite games (or at least the three you mention a lot) do not espouse the "best" roleplay out there. Firstly, what is the best is entirely an opinion, and last I checked no-one had the right to define what is the best roleplay. Secondly, I don't enjoy permadeath in the way you like it, nor do I like certain other features in that set, so to me it's not the best roleplay because it detracts from my enjoyment of roleplay and I wouldn't want to play there. Thirdly, as a MUD admin I would be far more interested in attracting players who enjoy the same type of RP as myself and not the kind who enjoy the type found on the games you enjoy. And lastly, I'm fairly certain people can enjoy more than one feature set. I've enjoyed plenty of different games in both the MUD world and other games despite wildly varying features. I also enjoy different types of roleplay depending on what kinds of mood I'm in, which would indicate for me that not only is the "best" roleplay opinion-based but also circumstance-based.

Once again I have to mention this fact, as it seems to be an almost constant basis for those who enjoy so-called RolePlay Intensive MUDs: What constitutes good RP does not have to equal what most accurately reflects real life! I find it amazing how many people make this error. Yes, for you, that's what is the best RP, but realistic does not automatically equal best! It's your opinion, nothing more. You enjoy RP on games where the mechanics accurately reflect the mechanics of real life. I don't enjoy RP with some of those features. Both of us are right, because it's all based on our opinion.

There are no facts to state that your preferred style of RP is the best, or that your preferred game mechanics make for the best RP.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote