View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Bakha

Bakha is on a distinguished road
Muds in Education

Hey all,

I have a friend who teaches in an alternative, non-traditional classroom. His students have talked to him about creating a roleplaying game as part of their curriculum this year (maybe something based on the old d20 system that came out with 3e). I told him he might want to investigate having them set up a mud because it would allow for even more diverse talents to come into play (coding, computer knowledge, graphic design on the webpage, writing, etc...).

Anyway, my questions:
1) I know they could just download DIKU and start there, but I'm curious about other options. Specifically, it would be cool if the coders get to work on some code that's written in a current and relevant language. What would be the best code base package?

2) What's the best way to breach this with technology administrators? What sort of hardware would they need to host this thing and how would it need to be set up on the server? Would they be better off just looking in to external hosting?

3) Should they pursue something else entirely, like a browser based game? It's a Language Arts class, so the writing component of a text-based game is a good thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
Bakha is offline   Reply With Quote