View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #18
Vesper

Vesper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vesper
Re: Avoiding mistakes in char gen/early game

Then why have options at all? Why not make "classes" where everything is predetermined? Why have any customization? Let them choose hair and eye color...if they pick druid, let the char gen process naturally max out their wis and int, instead of the player.

If "mistakes" can be made, again I ask why even have the option to make them? If I make a warrior, don't give me the option to train/roll stats at char gen. Max out my CON and my STR and just put me in the newbie school automatically. No "mistakes" can be made. So what if I want to max out my INT at creation, thus costing me fewer practices and learning my skills faster so I can convert extra prac's to trains to HP. Don't give me that option...it might be a "mistake" for a newbie.

So you want your MUDding to made as easy as possible. That's fine, just say that though instead of hiding behind the ludicrous argument that you can/should be able to make a legendary character your first time ever making one on a brand new MUD. Essentially, what I've gathered from your points so far, is that you think it should make sense for a brand new player to a MUD to make a character, say a cleric, for the first time, at creation, that will rival another cleric made by another player who's been on that MUD for 5 years. My newbie cleric should be just as great as the seasoned players cleric. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

This argument I don't follow. Equipment, clothing, armor, etc...is something you put on and take off. Your wisdom, your intelligence, your strength...that's something you're "born with," so to speak. I take my pants off in real life, I take my pantaloons off in a MUD. I lift weights IRL to gain strength, I "train" my STR in the MUD. I've found that EQ in MUDs has attributes to make up for what you aren't "born with." Hell, so what if you didn't max out WIS at char gen...there's usually EQ that will max it for you anyway. That's why the attributes are there. The numbers are the same, but are inherently gained in different ways. The attributes to EQ is just gravy.

Yes...but again, in most MUDs, I cannot simply change my stats on a whim and ADD to the attributes that the EQ gives me. The ability to find a mage you want to PK, redo your stats so that they are beneficial to PK that mage, add on the EQ you already have that help against magic-users and then go on to slaughter that mage...yes, that is unique. The challenge in most MUD's is to train your attributes as you see fit and then find/use EQ that helps you in areas you may be lacking AND only the EQ can be interchanged to fit the situation you're in. The fact you can just up and change your attributes ON TOP of EQ-given attributes is unique and less challenging.

Yes...but you said "heavy development", not out of beta. And out of beta...I agreed with you, that admins screw over the veterans. I was talking about brand new at char creation. This is a seperate topic for discussion.

Which would be their right, given that you can change things on a whim where you MUD. The majority of MUDs out there do not allow you to change the basic attributes of a character without cashing in trains, practices, etc...things you could otherwise put towards HP, Mana, etc...which, again, would be a matter of personal preference and make for total character customization.

But it's still a matter of personal preference. If you're making a character to PK and you didn't max out CON, that's not necessarily a mistake if you max'ed out WIS instead and gained more practices per level as opposed to HP...which can then be converted into trains and then into HP. Again, I fail to see how it can be a mistake if you're given options in the first place. If MUD owners are afraid of "mistakes," the options wouldn't be there or a walkthrough would be included in creation.

That's fine, seems like you would have a lot of cookie-cutter characters running around, at least stat-wise, depending on who they were trying to kill. But if your MUD is a PK-focused MUD, I'd do the same thing.

Didn't I agree with you on this...? And I thought the topic was new players at character creation on a new mud...?
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote