Thread: Shy Roleplayer
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
You surely aren't alone!

That said, there's a difference between roleplaying a shy character and being shy at roleplaying. Because MUDs are text only, if you stand around and do nothing, you aren't giving any feedback to those around you one way or the other. Thus, you may think that you "stand around looking awkward" but the truth is everyone else is seeing you just standing around.

However, if you stood around and shuffled your feet, glanced shyly at those around you (i.e., glance at John and quickly look away), blushed whenever anyone spoke to you, awkwardly bow when a city leader walked in, etc., then you are roleplaying a shy character. Many (certainly not all) players are attracted to the role of the mentor, protector or guide who would just love to RP drawing you out of your shell and 'taking you under their wing'. You certainly aren't stuck in this role, of course, and your character can evolve, perhaps now with the assistance of others. Then, your friends will fondly look back and say, "I remember when he was just a shy lad. Look at him now!"

Whether you want to roleplay a shy character to take advantage of your natural shyness or roleplay any other character, I believe the best advice is to always make sure you constantly give feedback to those around you. Keep a list of emotes always at hand so you can immediately use them. Even if no one else is doing anything in the room, a blush or a shuffling of the feet could provoke some roleplay interaction.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote