View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 11:54 AM   #2
AnnOnimous

AnnOnimous is on a distinguished road
First I'm gonna say, yeah, there's some stuff that wasn't hit upon, but my main problem with this being a poll is that I have to choose just one. I'm a patient person for the most part and if a mud's got enough good features I can overlook some of my worst pet peeves. So rather than voting I'm going to list the ones that are listed and add to them.

Unreliable uptime (lag, feezes, downtime) {and if it stays down too long}
Confusing and unclear introduction screens and chargen
Existing player attitudes (ie unfriendly, cliques) {or even too friendly, I play muds for a bit of a challenge, if I want help with something I'll ask, I don't need to be powerlevelled from the minute I log on.}
Too hard (you get PKd as soon as you log on)
MUD philosophy/thrust doesn't conform to what you like
Too few players when you type "who", mud seems 'dead' {Or, for me, too MANY players, I come from a cozy mud where you don't have to turn off channels to see what you're doing most of the time, and a lot of players causes a lot of spam}
Bugs -obvious from when you log on the first time {This depends solely on the bugs, if they're minor I can overlook them, but if they interfere too much with the gameplay...}

Now for my own list of personal peeves that will cause me to leave a mud.

Too much color, yes it's petty, and yes, I can do away with color, but I like a bit of contrast for global channels and tells and stuff. But when the entire mud is completely colored.... *shudder*

Stock areas or generally blah room descriptions. If I watch a movie is has to be worth watching and not based on a sorely overused storyline. If I play a mud, it has to be worth reading, and something different than any of the others I've seen, and really, the only way to make a mud different for someone who has just logged in is to make the rooms and areas different.

Newbie Areas! Informative and entertaining, all I've got to say is the mud I'm on has the best one I've seen so far and I make alts at times just so I can go through it again. I'm not sure exactly what it is about newbie areas, but I have left some muds solely on the basis of not liking their newbie area.

Continuity - If your mud is based on a book or a movie it should (in my opinion) stay true to it's basis, no elves in Wheel of Time, no Trollocs in Middle Earth, get my drift?

Anyway, this post is getting longer than I like, and I think I've touched on the major bothering points for me, so I'll let it rest for now.
AnnOnimous is offline   Reply With Quote