Thread: Seeking Writers
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Maldrantus

Maldrantus is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking Writers

The MUD itself is set in the very distant future featuring high technology. I don't want to give too much away here and now about the setting because I want to reserve those announcements for a later date, but my inspirations have been many, including quite a few classic science fiction novels as well as games like Mass Effect and Battletech. Overall, the theme is more space opera than it is straight edge science fiction.

Thankfully, someone told me long ago that if you can't sum up your game in a concise description, you have problems. So here is basic idea of the game: Three empires, founded by several races, compete for resources on a variety of planets via war, trade, theft, and political maneuvering.

The point is to give players a multitude of ways to play and contribute to the well being and advancement of their empire through other ways than pure PvP. Things such as exploration, creation, trade, politicking, maintaining proper flora and fauna levels as well as resource gathering to ensure the highest yield will all be viable ways to contribute to your empire's cause and, in most cases, advance your character as well.

Mechanically, combat will be balanced based. However, infantry units will play vastly differently from ship and mech combat, as can be expected. I won't go into too much detail now, but I will say that the system I'm using should allow for people who wish to manually fight to be important and viable as well as offer people who wish to code systems.

Personally, I come from role play intensive games like Armageddon or Inquisition to role play required games, I suppose you could say, like Iron Realms Entertainment games. My game will lean towards the IRE model where publicly role play will be enforced, but if players wish to be out of character in private channels, it is not prohibited.
Maldrantus is offline   Reply With Quote