View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 07:24 PM   #11
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Ingham: I interpreted your statement as meaning it was lame to share the information from slashdot. If you weren't trying to flame, I apologize for my response (though please note that about 3/4 of my post was not copied and pasted from slashdot).

Dulan,

How can a major internet problem not be of interest to mudders and admins?

As has been made clear by multiple posts in this thread, the problem affected a lot of people. Since those people have already thanked me for sharing the information, I'd say it is plainly evident that the information WAS in fact useful.

As an example, before I posted it here, I asked on Threshold if there were people having trouble, and some of them HAD been having difficulties since last night. I would imagine many other mud player bases were similarly affected.

Furthermore, any DDoS that is reported to be majorly affecting UUnet can potentially affect almost everyone.

UUNet has 93,000 miles of fiber optic cables on 6 continents. It is the largest bandwidth provider in the world. 50 percent of all the e-mails in the world pass through UUNet backbone, as well as 70 percent of those that travel within the United States.

Additionally, when 5 of 13 root nameservers go down, that means many people might think their mud "disappeared", when in truth they just cannot reach it by name.

That kind of information is very valuable and helpful to mudders and mud admins.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote