View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 AM   #2
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Re: A Night of Etiquette

Just some general thoughts, not specific to TMS:

Personally I find myself holding off posting a lot. I always ask myself before I post anything, whether what I'm about to say is relevant or necessary. Sometimes I find it useful to write out a full response, realise that whatever it was that drew my attention isn't worth escalating, and not post it. I think that a lot of the "bad" kind of arguments happen because people won't give up unless they finish on top, especially on the Internet where there's basically no harm in carrying on. So we end up with those constantly escalating threads that go back and forth because no one's willing to just drop it and take a little loss for once. Give a little, take a little, you know? What annoys me is when someone sets themself up as some kind of crusader for freedom or something, and refuses to drop it until all of the natives are converted.

Then again, I'm very much someone who won't say what they really think unless they know that no one will get upset by it, unless it's crucially necessary to say. That's part of why I'm happy with the moderation here, because if forced to make a choice, I'd rather lose out on some of the technical skill and information if that's what it takes to have a more civil community.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote