Thread: MUD: at school
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 05:33 AM   #20
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I've also noticed that, as a general rule, the older people tend to leave earlier. I suspect this is primarily because they have families and commitments at home, though - at least that's certainly the excuse such people tend to give when asked to work extra hours.

My current job is quite an interesting juxtaposition of cultures - working for a Japanese company based in Germany. The Japanese (or indeed all of the oriental) employees tend to stay in the office for very long hours, while the Europeans tend to work much shorter hours - however both seem to do around the same amount of actual work.

At one point I was considering working in the US or Canada, but I don't think I would enjoy what tends to be (in my opinion) the silly amount of time you're expected to work. In fact I think I'd even find it difficult going back to work in England again, after being in Germany for nearly a year and a half - I've just gotten too used to having 30 days vacation (plus around 13 days national holiday and numerous days of paid sick leave) per year, not being *allowed* to work more than 10 hours per day (and even then, only if your average over 6 months is 8 hours per day), only being able to work Saturdays in exceptional situations (and then having to take another day off to make up for it), not being legally allowed to work Sundays, etc, etc.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote