View Single Post
Old 07-21-2002, 07:55 PM   #15
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
Forgive the brevity of this post; my laptop is literally breaking down before my eyes, and the trackpad no longer is functioning, therefore I cannot cut and paste quotes I would like to refer to.

Regarding the rape allusion: You're most likely correct. However, I painted that metaphor as a programmer who has been victimized by players who have claimed that, in the absence of codified structures to prevent it, it was therefore acceptable. Taken in that context, I believe that the two are much more related.

I believe failure to prevent an action both through code and lack of policy is indicative of a MU* in its death throes, albeit the admin may not yet be aware of its mortality.

You can have either, and be sufficiently stable that it isn't an issue: MUSHes, for example, rely greatly upon the commonc courtesy system, while MU*'s generally take the codified route.

I personally have no experience with the PK-style MUDs, as I've never enjoyed what they have to offer, but I do understand the point of lack of rules to govern a system. Your reference to the candy dish at the hosts residence was right on key. In your version, however, it seems the host himself was too polite to mention such to the individual. Were he to inform him that he would not like all the candy taken in the future, and the guest to do it again, the host would be justified in evicting that guest from the premises.

Analogied to a MUD: Were the violater to have rules created because of his transgressions, and then told that they were to be followed, failure to do so in the future could be grounds for removing that player from the game.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote