View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
js_wilson

Name: Sean
Home MUD: Aardwolf
js_wilson is on a distinguished road
Re: Codebase with Crafting

I think you are right on Moo not being the choice for building, and others playing. This is being made for a D&D group who can no longer get together very often due to time and distance, and our focus is on quests, involving a combination of exploration, puzzles, and combat. Plain old D&D style races, classes, spells, skills ect. are fine, because that is what we are looking for anyway. I will be the primary builder, because building areas, doing mobprogs, and designing quests are what I am best at. One or two others in the group have expressed some interest in building some areas as well.

The MUD will be listed and available publicly, and we would be happy to have other players join us, but it is not our intention to attract a huge player-base, which is why we are not spending a lot of time up front writing unique code. I can usually figure out how to code stuff if I have to but it takes me ten times as long as some one that actually knows what they are doing.

I just checked out Bhost, and I am impressed. I proficient enough with linux server admin that I feel confident that I can get everything up and running without tech support, which is good since they don't offer any. Just for a test, I installed coffeemud on an old windows xp laptop with only 128 megs of memory, and it runs with no problems. If I try to import more than a couple dozen of my areas, it bogs down the whole system, but for a small MUD, it works just fine. This tells me that coffeemud should run just fine on Bhosts' bronze package, 512MB for $6.33/mo. My current host only gives me 30MB memory for $5.95. I get cpanel with that, which is nice, but I don't really need that. Bhost comes with Kloxo, which basically serves the same purpose, but I pretty much just manage everything through puTTy SSH anyway.
js_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote