Thread: Seeking advice
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #1
Zoticus

Zoticus is on a distinguished road
Seeking advice

Hello -

I am a dabbler, so excuse any mistakes or misuse of terms in this post.

I have been looking into the idea of building/coding my own mud, and using it as the real reason to finally galvanize myself to give up my free time to learning a proper programming language. To that end, I've been doing some reading, and have decided that Lua is likely the mix of power and user friendly syntax that I'm best capable of grasping.

That said, most engines I've read about are written in C or C++ - with a couple outliers like CoffeeMUD being written in Java. I've done some research - though it's difficult to do, since much of the mud coding community at large seems to have made up their minds and thus are not talking about it any more - and as far as I can tell, it appears entirely possible for me to find a nice, strong engine and then write my own custom mudlib on top of it in Lua that'd let me have all the doodads, whistles and other cool stuff I could possibly think of.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. The whole point of this endeavour is to learn and give myself a hobby that might also translate into an applicable real-life skillset, which learning to code my mostly-capable-but-not-really system in zScript back before CMud even existed never actually did.

If I am right, could someone please point me in the best direction to take from here out? I'm one of those tremendously clichéd wannabe coders with a bunch of ideas I'd love to bring to life, but there's so much to learn, I'm not really sure where to start.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Zoticus

p.s. I can, and gladly will, go into detail on the sort of world/experience I'm hoping to create, but I'm not even sure such a thing is needed, given what I'm asking for here. As with the rest of this topic, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Zoticus is offline   Reply With Quote