View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #50
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: How many muds have permadeath?

I have a few more points on Permadeath that should be noted. Though I am not a fan of 100% Permadeath, I do believe it has it's place. On NW, Permadeath is mixed with Resurrected Death. Permadeath occurs for specific reasons which you would have to find out by playing the game. All of it is roleplay related. But back to my points which are my opionion:

Point 1. Permadeath is not synonomous with roleplay. Just because you have permadeath does not make your mud an IRP Mud or even a roleplaying mud. In the basic sense, Permadeath is simply a means to say, "You lose, start over." This can also be said for Resurrected death. In the basic sense, Resurrected death simply means, "You lose a bit, start back a few paces."

Point 2. If you have Permadeath creation should be very very very simple, with only a smattering of history and background. More history and depth of character should be built down the road at various intervals. This makes permadeath more palatable and enjoyable as you grow into your character.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote